Job Shadow Program
for High School or College Students
Are you an upper class high school student, college student, or new professional that is wondering if music therapy is the field for you? Beyond Words offers a unique opportunities to gain a comprehensive inside view into the field of music therapy. We accept up to three job shadow students each year to join our practice. This program runs from May/June-August and requires a 15-20hr/week committment. The program is unpaid, as you will not be replacing any of our staff, and is conducted like a classroom environment.
If you are already a music therapy student, click here for a field study program that's designed for you.
As a job shadow student, you will...
- Participate in weekly clinical meetings to learn how a private practice is run behind the scenes
- Participate in weekly workshops to learn about different disabilities, how music therapists plan interventions, how we take data, what it means to build a private practice, and more!
- Observe a minimum of three music therapy sessions each week. This internship requires you to have reliable transportation.
- Lead a community music group for children with special needs, in coordination with your co-interns.
- Assist our adapted dance instructor and music therapists in summer camps.
- Complete home-based assignments to learn how to write songs and create interventions.
To qualify for this program, you must...
1. Play an instrument or sing
2. Be comfortable around individuals with specialized needs.
3. Be organized, punctual, and have reliable transportation.
4. Be willing and able to commit to 15-20hrs per week.
5. Be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement, non-compete, non-solicitation agreement, and a hold harmless agreement. Any interns under the age of 18 are required to have a parent/ guardian sign consent as well.
6. Be able to pass a background check and/or drug test.
Ready to apply?
Applications are accepted January 1-April 15 for that year’s summer job shadow program. Only complete applications will be considered and no extensions will be permitted. Applicants with a qualifying score will be offered a chance to interview and audition on the instrument of their choice. Interviews are held at our North Royalton office; however, applicants from out of state may arrange an interview via Skype, on a case by case basis.
To apply, please send the following documents as a PDF via email to Erin Jester, MT-BC, Executive Director at email@example.com. Questions regarding the program can be directed to the same email.
- A cover letter explaining why you would like this experience, any obstacles that will prohibit you from being available during the summer, and the dates you are available May-August for the job shadow program.
- A current resume - We recognize that for students, this task may seem daunting. Please include any volunteer service, extra-curricular activities, etc. you have been involved with.
- One (1) Professional letter of reference and one (1) personal letter of reference that speak to your character, your organization, and your ability to work as a member of a team.
- A paper answering the following questions: what is your involvement in music, what experience/ exposure have you had with people with special needs, what does it mean to be a member of a team,
Applicants will be notified by April 20 if they have passed through to the interview round. Interviews are conducted in mid/ late April. Offers to join our practice for the summer are extended within one week of the interview.